• Home » 
  • Update on the Budget Situation

Update on the Budget Situation

Posted on Friday, December 19th, 2008 under Budget News

To: UNCG Faculty and Staff

I know all of you are aware of the economic problems being experienced nationally and in North Carolina. The nation lost 530,000 jobs in November, which means that the state’s unemployment rate will spike this month. The shortfall that is expected for the state budget in 2009-2010 is expected to exceed $2 billion, and the General Assembly and Governor-elect Beverly Perdue will face enormous challenges for developing a balanced budget for the 2009-2011 biennium. To that end, Governor Easley has requested all state agencies – including The University of North Carolina system – develop budget reduction options of 3 percent, 5 percent and 7 percent to be effective with the new fiscal year.

At UNCG, the provost and vice chancellors have been working with me to develop appropriate reduction plans for their areas that will comply with the guidelines, while minimizing the negative impact on the university’s core academic mission. Based on our October 31 state appropriations budget of approximately $169 million, UNCG would experience budget cuts of $5 million at the 3 percent level, $8.5 million at 5 percent, and $11.9 million at 7 percent. I encourage the campus community to submit your own and review other’s ideas for cost savings at the UNCG PACE web page. Department heads and those with budget responsibility may also benefit from considering the suggested cost saving ideas.

It is important that you be kept up-to-date on the budget situation and how it could affect the entire university community. It saddens me to say that serious times call for serious measures – and those times will be at hand for the 2009-2011 biennium.

As my first semester as UNCG’s chancellor comes to a close, I want to express my gratitude to each of you who devote your talent, time and energy to making UNCG the great place that it is. The excitement surrounding yesterday’s Commencement reminds us that what we do matters. Together we will get through these difficult times.

Sincerely,
Linda P. Brady
Chancellor

Posted in Budget News.