• Home » 
  • Chancellor Brady Establishes Sounding Board, Pledges Communication

Chancellor Brady Establishes Sounding Board, Pledges Communication

Posted on Tuesday, March 31st, 2009 under Budget News

Dear Members of the University Community:

I have learned recently that many members of our University community first learned about the decision to begin a Reduction-in-Force (RIF) process to manage the budget cuts we will face in the coming fiscal year by reading an article that was published in the News and Record on Thursday, March 26. I regret that you did not hear about this from me personally.

In an effort to avoid adding to the volume of e-mail, on March 25 we posted a communication about this process on UNCG’s home page. Let me encourage you to consult the website and our new Budget Central web page for updates on the budget situation.

As we consider how best to respond in a rapidly changing political and social environment, we will continue to engage our traditional governance structures and to provide frequent updates to the UNCG community. At the same time, I want to ensure multiple channels of communication as we refine UNCG’s responses to the continuing crisis in the coming year.

I have invited several individuals to serve as a Budget Sounding Board for senior administrative leadership as we move through the legislative process and implementation of budget cuts. The group is representative of faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community leaders. The following have agreed to serve:

• Rebecca Adams, Chair of the Faculty Senate
  • Jeffrey Colbert, Alumni Association President
  • Stephen C. Hassenfelt, Chair of the Board of Trustees
  • Sha Li Zhang, Chair of the Faculty Senate Budget Committee
  • M. Lee McAllister, Past Chair, Greensboro Partnership
  • Scott Milman, Chair of the Staff Senate
  • Robert Strack, Incoming Chair of the Faculty Compensation Committee
  • Michael Tuso, Student Government Association President
  • Charles Tedder, Graduate Student Association President

This group will meet with Provost David Perrin, Vice Chancellor Reade Taylor, and me on a regular basis to preview and provide feedback on strategies and operational plans for dealing with the budget situation. I appreciate their service and know the insights they offer will help shape our responses and ensure that multiple perspectives are considered as we assess options.

I would appreciate your ideas and feedback as well. We have added a “Send a Message to the Chancellor” button on the Chancellor’s web page at http://www.uncg.edu/cha/. Please let me know your thoughts and concerns.

These are unusual times for all of us. I value this community and pledge to do my very best to ensure we move through this difficult period mindful of the values that shape our emerging strategic plan. Thank you for your service to UNCG.

Sincerely,
Linda P. Brady
Chancellor

Posted in Budget News.